I. Warehouse storage conditions
- The warehouse is rodent proof as to roof, walls, doors, and windows. The warehouse is free of cracks and water seep.
- The warehouse complies with all applicable state, and local laws.
- The warehouse has light sufficient to permit cleaning crews to work, and for weighing the coffee bags.
- The warehouse is only artificially heated to a minimum level to prevent freezing of pipes, or to follow exporter recommendation described on the labels.
- The warehouse is free of leaking pipes.
- The warehouse is equipped with toilet facility, which is clean, in good repair and supplied with proper soaps and towels.
- The warehouse has a sign, clearly visible in the toilet, requiring employees to wash hands after use of the toilet facilities.
- The warehouse has signs, clearly visible, prohibiting smoking, eating, or drinking in the storage areas.
- The warehouse has a theft deterrent alarm system connected to a central monitoring service.
II. Housekeeping practises
- The floor is maintained broom always clean. Inactive storage areas, corners, ledges, or other non-storage areas are always kept clean. Also, the walls are free of cobwebs, accumulated dirt, dust, excrete, loose foreign matter, peeling paint.
- A housekeeper signs a notebook very time cleaning is done – every two weeks.
- The warehouse maintains outside areas free of conditions, which may result in buildup of pest problems, all outside loading and unloading areas as well as the grounds around the warehouse.
III. Other storage practises
- Coffee is stored on pallets that provide a minimum of 10 cm distance from the floor.
- The pallets, including those stored for future use, are kept clean and in good repair.
- Coffee is stored a minimum of 60 cm from the ceiling and a minimum of 20 cm from the walls.
- 60 cm of space is maintained between coffee piles. Coffee is not stored higher than 20 bags piled up over one another.
- Every coffee bag has a label mentioning crop year, name of the product, best before date, storage conditions (if applicable), country of origin and exporter name.
- No equipment such as fork-lift is used at the warehouse, operation is fully manual.
IV. Stored coffee
- All coffee entering the warehouse has a certification of origin as well as a phytosanitary certificate.
- The warehouse conducts a biweekly inspection of each lot of coffee to determine its condition. The warehouse takes all necessary precautions to prevent contamination/infestation of the bags.
- The warehouse maintains a log documenting that the biweekly inspections are conducted.
- No odorous products or things are stored in such manner or place as to enable the odor to be imparted to the coffee. No coffee is stored in any area where such foreign odors prevail or where hazardous or high fire risk materials are stored.
V. Pest control
- The warehouse maintains a written pest control program, available for evaluation.
- The warehouse maintains rodent control equipment along inside perimeter walls spaced twenty-five 7 meters, or less, apart. Rodent control equipment can be glue boards, traps, or other mechanical devices.
- Rodent control programs are performed once a month taking into consideration the exterior as well as the interior conditions of the warehouse.